A Linux Security Checklist
I recently came across this article about securing yourself on a Linux machine – Security Checklist for Linux System.
It’s equally true about Windows users as well:
- Keep the system updated with latest security patches
- Keep yourself updated with latest vulnerabilities through mailing lists, forums etc.
- Stop and disable unwanted services
- Use SUDO to limit ROOT Access
- SSH security settings
- Tunnel all of your XWindow sessions through SSH
- Create only a required number of users
- Maintain a good firewall policy
- Scan for viruses and other malware!
- Configure SSL/TLS if you are using FTP
- Secure your communication with GPG
- Check file permissions across filesystems
- Bootloader and BIOS security
- Enable remote Logging
- Keep a good password policy