Software Society Email problems – Resolved
Fan-bloody-tastic! I’ve been trying to work out why emails to the Software Society have been falling over the last few weeks and finally I’ve worked it out!
The lesson to take away from it is, never let someone on the other side of an IT support desk do anything for you that’s mission critical.
All my domains are hosted thru 123-Reg who act as my registrar, and have done for years. I’ve never had to use their support desk in the past and found the service perfect for my needs. Recently one of the servers I was using as an alternative DNS Nameserver was being shutdown so I duly made alternative arrangements and went to update my registrar only to be greeted with errors. Unfortunately I was, and still am, unable to update the registrar nameservers for any domain ending in .uk.
Not to concerned I contact support and ask them to update my nameservers to a.ns.nxfifteen.me.uk, b.ns…., c.ns…. and d.ns…. within a few hours I had a response saying it had all been taken care of.
Fast forward a few weeks and emails are starting to fail, a quick check of my ISP nameserver shows no problem but on a whim I check with Google’s and low and behold the domain no longer has any DNS records!
I will leave aside the long and tedious story of how I spent hours trying to find the problem and checking the DNS server configuration files and skip right on to checking my registrar was returning the right details, as you probably guest it wasn’t. My friendly request to the support desk had resulted in my new nameservers being listed as ns1.nxfifteen.me.uk, ns2., ns3. and ns4. which are not A records on my domain.
Rather than going back through support to fix this, I still cant change them using the admin panel, I’ve resorted to adding these new domain records to my DNS. This can take 24-48 hours to propagate across the net, and as of writing Google’s DNS hasn’t updated, so please be patient with me a little longer. The problem has been resolved, I’m just waiting on it to filter through.